Homes and Land in Montgomery,
Autauga and Elmore Counties, Alabama

Area Info...

New Alabama residents must obtain a driver's license within 30 days of entering the state. Driver's licenses are available from:

In Montgomery:

Driver's License Examiner's Office
1040 Coliseum Blvd.

In Wetumpka:

101 East Tallassee Street

In Prattville:

165 West 5th Street

If you have a valid out-of-state driver's license, you do not have to take the written or road test, but you are required to take an eye exam. The cost for the out-of-state transfer fee is $28.00 cash (for a regular Class D license only).

If you do not have a calid out-of-state license, you are required to take a written exam and road test as well as the eye exam. The cost of a new license/renewal for Alabama state residents is $23.00.

You must bring with you:
• Current Driver's license
• Social Security Card (name should match that of Driver's License)
• State issued Birth Certificate of Passport
• If your name has changed, bring marriage certificate or divorce decree

Vehicle titles must be transferred and Alabama automobile license plates obtained within 30 days of establishing residency. You must go to the county Probate Office to transfer your plates.

For new residents to Alabama, you will need the following to transfer your tag:

• Your Car
• The title or copy of the original title
• If it is a lien, the lien holder's name and complete address and loan account number
• Bill of sale

For new residents who have moved from another Alabama county and need to renew a license tag, you must provide one of the following:

Renewal notice from previous Alabama county
Previous year's renewal notice from the previous Alabama county
Title of the vehicle for which registration is provided

Offices for Driver's License Renewals & Vehicle


100 So. Lawrence Street
Courthouse Annex
Driver's License: 334-832-1231
Vehicle Registration/Tags: 334-832-1233

3032 Woodley Road
Capitol Plaza
5340-A Atlanta Highway - 334-281-9999

Eastmont Plaza Shopping Center - 334-272-8505


Elmore County Tag & Title Department

Elmore County Courthouse
200 Commerce Street


Autauga County Auto Tags

176 W 5th Street
Prattville, AL 36067

Boat/Vessel Registration

Alabama does require a license to operate a boat or vessel. For information on licensing requirements and fees for Boat and Vessel registration you may call or visit one of the offices listed above under Driver's License & Vehicle registration/Tags.

Voter Registration

Remembering to register to vote in your new community is important. There is no length-of-residence requirement to vote in Montgomery, Autauga or Elmore counties. Voter registration must be completed at the County Courthouse 10 days before any election to vote in that election. Special assistance for people with disabilities is available.

To Register:

Online through the Secretary of State's website:

Montgomery County:

The County Administration Building, 100 South Lawrence Street, 334-832-125
Any public library or probate office

Autauga County:

The County Courthouse in Prattville, the Probate Office or any public library. 334-361-3713.

Elmore County:

The County Courthouse in Wetumpka, the Probate Office or any public library. 334-567-1150

Board of Registrars
Montgomery Count Administrative Building

100 South Lawrence Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

Social Security Administration

The Social Security Administration has two locations in Montgomery County. For general information and services, visit SSA offices at 2450 Presidents Drive, Montgomery, AL 36116 or call 334-223-7183 or 1-800-772-1213.

Utility and Cable Services

Alabama Power Company

244 Dexter Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104

Central Alabama Electric Cooperative

P.O. Box 681570
Prattville, AL 36068

Dixie Electric Cooperative

10613 Troy Highway
Pike Road, AL 36064

Natural Gas

Alabama Gas Corporation (Alagasco)

235 Lee Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

163 East Main Street
Prattville, AL 36752

Southern Natural Gas Company

Cook Road
Wetumpka, AL

To hookup Natural Gas, please provide mailing address, street address, home and work phone numbers and Social Security number.


Cable providers can also provide phone service.


Residential Customers
334-557-6500 (toll-free)
Business Customers
334-557-6000 (toll-free)


1637 Eastern Blvd.
Montgomery, AL 36117

Bright House Network


Water & Garbage

Montgomery Water Works and Sanitary Sewer Board
22 Bibb Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

To apply for new service, customers must complete a new service application and (1) bring a copy of the mortgage, lease or deed or purchase, (2) full name and picture identification fo persons listed on the mortgage, deed or other proof of purchase, (3) Social Security numbers, (4) valid US driver's license or other indentification.
Hookup is the following day and requires a deposit, $100 minimumm as a security againat future charges. This can be waived for residential cusomers who are active military personnel, have had a previous year of service or establish an automatic bank draft for monthly bill payment.

Montgomery Sanitation Department

934 N. Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

Wetumpka Water Works

2909 Elmore Road
Wetumpka, AL

A minimum of $40 deposit required. Charges are based on a percentage of the water bill.

Prattville Water Works Board

114 E. Main Street
Prattville, AL

There is a $25 service fee, which can typically be billed and no deposit. Customers need to provide current and previous addresses, information on prior service and Social Security number. A lease is helpfl, although not required.

Millbrook Utilities

3841 Grandview Road

Provides for Grandview Pines area water and most of Millbrook's sanitation needs.

Tri-Community Water System

2630 Main Street

Provides water for areas South of Alabama HIghway 14.

Elmore Water Authority

Airport Road

Generally services area North of Alabama HIghway 14 for water needs.
Water service and distribution depend on the address. Some residents have water service through the Elmore County line, with others have service through a tri-county line.

Waste Disposal (Garbage)

Montgomery County

Montgomery Sanitation Department


Autauga County

Autauga Sanitation Department


Elmore County

Elmore Sanitation Department


Depending on location contact either

Montgomery Waste Management


Sunflower Waste and Landfill

1303 Washington Blvd., Tallassee

For weekly curbside household garbage pikcup, a container will be provided after completion of the service agreement and required deposit of $25. In addition, three packages may be set out for pickup and a a large pickup amount can be scheduled for an additional fee.


City of Montgomery Recycling Division

934 N. Ripley Street
Montgomery, AL 36104

Once a week, curbside pickup of items in the orange bag provided by this office. All paper except wax coated, aluminum and steel cans, glass, #1,2 plastics and corrugated carboard are accepted.

Millbrook Recycling Commission


The city recycles newspaper, plastic, cardboard and aluminum, but not glass.

Prattville Recycling Center
Center accepts aluminum, paper, plastic, glass and cardboard.

Wetumpka Recycle Center

205 E. Charles Avenue

Curbside recycling is available within city limits on Friday.

Cable Services

Charter Communications
Providing service to Prattville, Montgomery and some other outlying areas

5990 Monticello Drive
Montgomery, AL 36117

Providing service to Montgomery and Prattville including Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Base

1637 Eastern Blvd.
Montgomery, AL 36117

Brighthouse Networks
Providing service to Wetumpka, Millbrook, Tallassee, military bases, Greenville, Fort Deposit.

3996 US Highway 231
Wetumpka, AL 36093

High-speed Internet


1637 Eastern Blvd.
Montgomery, AL 36117

Bellsouth Fast Access Internet


Click for a copy of
the area's premier
Real Estate Magazine!